27.8.07
Souvenirs
Our first day in Beijing we decided to do a package tour of the Great Wall, the Ming Tombs, and several overpriced jade, silk, and tea shops. I wasn't about to buy any of it, but it made for cool pictures.
These balls of jade have at least eight balls inside them, all carved from one large piece of jade. 8 is an auspicious number in China.

The silks were beautiful, but EXPENSIVE. We watched how they stretched out the cocoons of silkworms in order to make quilts.

These vases are made by starting with a plain copper vase, gluing small copper bits on to create a design, filling in the copper bits with enamel, firing the pot in a kiln, then buffing and polishing it down.

Labels: ,

written by Ruthie @ 8:47 PM  
0 thoughts:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル