11.7.07
Memorization
I love to watch movies. I especially love action movies and comedies. There is one movie that I like so much that I have watched them over 20 times. It is an American comedy called “That Thing You Do.” The Japanese title is “すべてをあなたに.” This movie is special to me because in college my best friend and I would watch it together when we felt depressed or stressed or we just wanted to relax. We watched the movie so often that we memorized the dialogue. Even when we weren’t watching the movie we could quote dialogue from the movie to make us laugh. Whenever either of us were in a bad mood, we would say a funny line from the movie, and we would instantly be cheered up. Do you feel this way about a movie you love? Have you memorized funny lines from a movie?

When I was in junior high school I went to a Bible camp every summer. At this Bible camp, I memorized important Bible verses. Every day I tried to learn 2 or 3 new verses, so that by the end of the week I could recite over 20 verses of the Bible. To this day I still remember some of these Bible verses, and when I am confused or sad or afraid or angry, these verses come to mind and I am comforted and encouraged. It is similar to the feeling I had when I quoted movie lines with my friend. But since I am a Christian the Bible is much more important to me than the dialogue from a movie. Psalm 119:11 says, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” If I remember God’s words, he will show me the right thing to do and give me comfort. I sometimes think it’s strange that I can easily memorize the lines from movies, lyrics from my favorite songs, and trivia about my favorite actors, but I don’t spend my free time memorizing the Bible, the book which is most important to me. 1 Peter 1:24-25 says "For, 'All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever.' And this is the word that was preached to you." When I think seriously about it, the words of God are much more important than the words of Johnny Depp or Avril Lavigne. I want to spend more time in my life thinking about what is really important. Which do you really think is more important: the Bible or a movie with Johnny Depp?

Every day in chapel we recite a memory verse. Have you ever thought about why you do this every day? It is not because your teachers want to punish you. It is not only because of tradition. It is because the leaders of this school believe the Bible has a very important message. While you are in this school it may be the only time in your life that you read the Bible, so we hope you will remember what you have learned. Do you memorize these verses? Today’s verse is Isaiah 33:2. Does this verse comfort you? Is it important to you? Have you thought about what it means? Think about these memory verses. Hide God’s words in your heart. Maybe someday in the future when you have some trouble in your life, you will suddenly remember these verses and be comforted.

Labels: ,

written by Ruthie @ 10:07 PM  
2 thoughts:
  • At 7/12/2007 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I came to the same conclusion years ago and haven't seen a movie since...I think seeing movies or tv are stealing time from God. I've memorized nearly the whole Bible, and it's been a source of great comfort to me.

     
  • At 7/16/2007 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    *Sigh* I love that movie! "Shame on me for kissing you..."

    But what I want to ask is, did the earthquake affect you at all? I am worried about Japan!
    -bjh

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル