7.2.09
That's sic
I'm a pretty good speller. I was runner-up in the 4th-grade Brewton Elementary School Spelling Bee. I got out on the word "corporal," but to this day I swear that I spelled it correctly. I even practiced it the night before. My mom can attest to that. The kid that beat me (his name is Josh) won with the word "cosmetic." What idiot can't spell "cosmetic"?! I was pretty upset, as I recall. Since I was runner-up, Josh and I both got to attend the Escambia County Spelling Bee with our homeroom teacher. Josh was knocked out early in the competition on the word "sheriff." I laughed ruefully under my breath, because I knew how to spell "sheriff" and I knew I could have lasted longer than he did. Anyway, I got out of school early and got to go to Arby's for lunch.

In spite of my legendary spelling prowess, there are several words that, for whatever reason, I can never spell right the first time. Here are a few I could think of:

recieve
prescence
occassion
suprise
excercise

I'm curious: what do y'all have trouble spelling?
written by Ruthie @ 3:03 PM  
4 thoughts:
  • At 2/10/2009 11:32 AM, Blogger Christy said…

    It took me a long time to learn "accommodate" and I still forget it sometimes. I also have trouble deciding between "judgment" and "judgement."

     
  • At 2/10/2009 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was the second place finisher for my school's spelling bee in grade school. I missed on the word "embarrassed." I still have problems spelling it...two double letters!

     
  • At 2/11/2009 7:47 AM, Blogger CLU said…

    occasion ocassion hm. the first one i think. that gets me too. tomato/e and potato/e get me as well. sorry. i run in presidential circles, i guess. :)

     
  • At 2/11/2009 10:22 PM, Blogger bjhegland said…

    I was in a town spelling bee (against a bunch of old ladies!) the summer after 5th grade, and I got out on the word 'dirge'; I spelled it with a 'u'--who wouldn't?! But every word that came up after that, I was able to spell correctly; I was pretty peeved. Anyway, I just found out the other day that 'ridiculous' is not 'rediculous', and now that I know, I've got to focus on fixing my pronunciation of it as well as the spelling. Uff da!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル