6.5.07
Seaweed and Seafowl
I want to know who the first person was to look at seaweed and think, "Hmm, looks delicious. I'll make a soup out of it." Who does that?! Who looks at a weird, smelly, slimy water plant and decides to eat it? The Japanese, that's who.

In other news,

I went to the beach for the first time in Japan last Friday. Rachel and I packed a lunch and went north two train stops to Yasuoka. We didn't know what was in the area, but we suspected there was a beach and a hot spring (there wasn't a hot spring. I read the Japanese characters wrong). The beach was so nice, and the weather was beautiful, much to our surprise. We collected shells, took pictures, got sandy and wet and a tiny bit sunburned. On the walk back I saw a bird which is either a crane or a herring of some kind:

It was standing in a little canal that flowed through the city and out to the beach. There were actually boats that traveled through it ("It's like Venice!" I remarked to Rachel). I wanted a picture of the ambiguous sea-faring bird, but just then a motor boat started coming up the canal. I saw a golden opportunity to get a shot of the bird in flight:






Predictably, as the boat came nearer to the bird he took flight over our heads. I had my camera ready and got a few good shots:









I was really proud of this close-up. Check out the wingspan on that sucker. Awesome.

Rachel and I watched it fly for awhile and I assumed it would go back to the water after the boat passed. But it didn't:









It alighted on a nearby rooftop and sat there until we got bored and walked off. It may still be there, for all I know. For some reason I thought it was so funny that the bird was on top of the roof. I don't know why that amused me so much.

Labels:

written by Ruthie @ 5:39 AM  
3 thoughts:
  • At 5/06/2007 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really don't think it's a herring...being that herring is a kind of fish=) But it is a pretty freaking cool bired; bring me home one, would ya?! Love you, Ruf=)

     
  • At 5/06/2007 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Crap! You're not the only one getting your words confused, it seems; I surely meant 'bird', and not 'bired'!!

     
  • At 5/19/2007 6:49 AM, Blogger CLU said…

    A heron on a roof IS humerous, because in the States, they stay in the water where they belong

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル