28.9.07
23
I had the sudden realization today that I will not once during my twenty-third year of life set foot in my native country. The thought crept up on me, struck me unawares. I don't know how to feel about this. A whole year in a foreign country, on foreign soil. A whole year outside of my homeland. An entire, consecutive year consumed by Japan. All the years from 1 to 22 were spent in the United States--over half of those in Iowa. Then all of a sudden year 23 and parts of year 22 and 24 are in this totally different, often bizarre environment. I don't really know if this thought is extraordinarily significant or not. It really surprised me, though.

Sometimes I have a vague suspicion that my body knows its in unknown territory and is silently rebelling. My stomach definitely talks more in Japan. I don't know if that's because I generally eat less food here or because my stomach is revolting against seaweed, konyaku and miso shiro. If I were my stomach, I'd revolt too. That stuff doesn't qualify as food in my book.
written by Ruthie @ 8:44 AM  
0 thoughts:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル