23.9.07
Osaka
Osaka is often referred to as the "concrete jungle." I actually went to Osaka to take the GRE, so I didn't have a whole lot of time to do sight-seeing, but I really enjoyed what I saw. The most famous tourist spot in Osaka-- and actually, in all of Japan, so a tourist guidebook told me-- is the Osaka Castle. Built by Hideyoshi Toyotomi and rebuilt by the Tokugawa regime, the castle dates back to the 1500s and was the site of several battles. It was completely renovated (including the installation of two elevators and air conditioning) ten years ago to boost the tourist industry there. Probably the greatest part about the castle is the huge park it is situated in. It was like Osaka's Central Park. From the top of the castle I could see the whole park and the city stretched out beyond it. Very cool.
People also complain about Osaka because there isn't a whole lot of touristy stuff there to do. I was only in Osaka for about two days, but I really enjoyed my time there. Lots of great shopping and restaurants, nice people, easy to get around, and some fun tourist stuff, as well. But it was definitely a concrete jungle:

Labels:

written by Ruthie @ 1:49 AM  
1 thoughts:
  • At 9/23/2007 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so, my freshman year of hs, our exchange student was from osaka :-)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル