21.12.07
Fall Highlights
Sorry for the extended period of silence, loved ones. I just haven't been in the update-mood lately. But today I finally decided that it was time I told my peeps back home the 411 on the happenings of my 'hood. For my more, ahem, wisened readers, get a young whipper-snapper to translate that last sentence.

Highlights of this fall:
  • Still getting along well with the new coworker, Ami. This is not to say that we haven't had our little struggles, but its nothing compared to the tension and strain I felt with a previous coworker. I am so thankful that, in most things, Ami and I are on the same wavelength.
  • I went to a sumo match in Fukuoka in November. It. Was. Awesome. Probably the most memorable experience I've had in all my time in Japan. For more on this experience please check my previous blog entry.
  • I took the Japanese Language Proficiency Test in December. I took the second-lowest level out of four levels. I will find out if I passed in mid-February. I feel pretty good about it, though. I think maybe I did all right.
  • I finished applying to music theory masters/doctorate programs. I will have to do several phone interviews in January and probably do a little bit more paperwork. I will start to get notifications of acceptance/rejection in March, I think. I will be happy to be accepted to any of the four schools I applied to, though my first choice is the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY.
  • Work has been exceedingly frustrating this month. It's been so bad that I reviewed my contract to see if there was any way I could trap the school into agreeing to a list of several demands I have been making in my head, such as translating the school handbook into English, translating our paycheck information into English, translating morning announcements into English, giving us goals and grading policies for our classes, etc. Those are reasonable requests, don't you think?
  • I am coming home for Christmas! I will be in Des Moines from December 24-January 5, so if you're in that area, please let me know and we can get together!! I am so thankful for the opportunity to get out of Japan for awhile and soak up some familiar culture and food and faces.

Labels:

written by Ruthie @ 1:48 AM  
3 thoughts:
  • At 12/22/2007 10:57 AM, Blogger Jorge I. Figueroa F. said…

    You re almost done in Japan.
    Don't get disappointed you will look back to all this hard times and smile and this is going to happen pretty soon.

    Happy holidays

     
  • At 12/22/2007 7:13 PM, Blogger Ruthie said…

    Dude, I'm only going home for vacation. I'm coming back in January.

     
  • At 12/26/2007 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not sure why you're going back. Sounds like Baiko is awful, with uncaring co-workers, stupid policies and no respect. It would serve them right to have to scramble to replace you.

    You should just stay home.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル