2.2.08
Grad School Update
Thank you, readers, for all your wonderful comments and encouragement and advice. I never expected that one rant would receive such feedback.

The day after I received my rejection letter from Eastman, I had a webcam interview with Indiana at a local church. I had to play piano for them to show my mad piano skills (haha. That's a funny joke, see, because I don't really have mad piano skills) and analyze a piano piece, so I set up the webcam in front of the piano. I wasn't really as worried about the actual interview as all the technology working, but it went off without too many problems. The call dropped a few times during the interview, but we were able to re-establish a connection quickly enough.

So we talked about why I want to study music theory, and why I chose Indiana, and if I had any questions, etc. Then I sight-sang a few melodies (nearly flawlessly, thank you very much) and sight-read the piano piece (not flawlessly at all, but not too badly either). Then they asked me to analyze the piece, and I did that. Then they asked me to deduce, from the style of the piece, when it was written and the possible composer. And I NAILED it!! I NAILED it!! I got the right era, the right composer, I analyzed it well, I did AWESOME!!! And I could tell the interviewers were impressed. Then they played some intervals and chords on the piano and I told them what I heard and they were impressed with how well I did on that, too. Actually, one of the dudes asked if I had absolute pitch (I can tell exactly what pitch is being played upon hearing it, like I can tell the difference between an A and a B flat with my ears), so I told them about how professors in my past have disagreed about it and that I think it comes and goes, but it was awesome that they recognized that I have really good ears (because I do).

Overall I feel like the interview went very well, probably the best that it could possibly go. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, because it is possible that they don't have room for me or that another candidate is more highly qualified or something. But the experience did confirm to me that I am, indeed, AWESOME at music theory and that I love it. So that was really good. Really, really good. I probably won't find out if I got in or not until March or something. The head honcho interviewer couldn't give me a solid time, but he said he'd email me directly as soon as he knew. And when I know, you all will know, too.

Labels:

written by Ruthie @ 10:37 PM  
4 thoughts:
  • At 2/02/2008 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ----But the experience did confirm to me that I am, indeed, AWESOME at music theory and that I love it.----

    And I'll bet that was worth the whole process, whether you get in this time or not!
    Excellent!

     
  • At 2/03/2008 11:55 AM, Blogger aubrey said…

    YOU ROCK AND I AM LUCKY TO KNOW YOU YOU FRICKING STUD. You totally Kang'd those interviewers right in the ASS.

     
  • At 2/03/2008 2:20 PM, Blogger Jorge I. Figueroa F. said…

    Those are great news Ruthie 先生.
    Indiana.....

     
  • At 2/04/2008 6:25 PM, Blogger Chris Rensink said…

    you ROCK Star - fun blog to read! I am happy for you.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル