21.2.09
Overheard
One of the reasons I started the "overheard" posts was because I was amazed at the kinds of things people are willing to blurt out in public places. I often astound myself (and I'm sure my family and friends are also astounded) with the things I am not at all embarrassed to say in a crowd. I think people often feel a certain barrier between themselves and the group they are with and those outside of that group. The barrier is large enough that sometimes we don't even consider the fact that "outsiders" might be actively listening to things we only intended for our "insiders" to hear. Today's overheard quotes are great examples of this phenomenon.

"I didn't pay for my nose, you did!"
--overheard in a Thai restaurant, 2/20.

"Yeah, I was telling my coworker yesterday, 'Jesse, I had a dream about you. I dreamed that I pulled down your pants and you had two dicks.'"
--overheard on the city bus, 2/19.

Labels:

written by Ruthie @ 2:56 PM  
2 thoughts:
  • At 2/21/2009 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG...those made me crack up! :D

     
  • At 2/24/2009 6:23 AM, Blogger candifer said…

    i am SO guilty of this! esp while living in berlin... i often forget that most people here speak or at least understand english... and when other english-speakers are on public transportation, i strain to listen to every word... prolly just cuz i'm not used to hearing other people speaking english.

    i actually talk about people that are right next to me sometimes. it's bad; i'm sure they know i'm talking about them. i think it will be more of a problem when i get back to the states...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル