31.1.07
Fun Facts
Here's the Japanese for "have a runny nose:" 鼻水が出る (hanamizuga deru). It literally means "nose water leaves." I thought that was funny.

The word for "butt" is shiri. I thought that was funny, too. Mostly because I'm pretty immature, though.

The first day of spring is celebrated on February 4th. The Japanese still "observe" Spring equinox on March 21st, but February 4th is a special holiday that marks the change of season. Its called setsubun. The holiday is celebrated by throwing beans at the father of the household running out of the house while he wears a demon mask. No, I'm serious. That's what they do. While they throw the beans at the patriarch they yell Oniwa soto, fukuwa uchi, which roughly means, "evil is out, good is in."

It is surprisingly difficult to explain Groundhog's Day to the Japanese-- mostly because I don't know the Japanese word for groundhog.

Labels:

written by Ruthie @ 2:46 AM  
2 thoughts:
  • At 2/02/2007 2:12 AM, Blogger Matt Hulstein said…

    I am so glad to know you. I wish you were here so we could be hanging out and become even better friends. I think I just need to russle up a few thousand dollars and visit you.

    Love!
    Matt

     
  • At 2/12/2007 1:37 PM, Blogger Tracey said…

    Ruthie! I'm coming to see you on tour this summer! We can hang out and be immature together because that is pretty much my favorite thing to do! Maybe I'll bring a groundhog, but I'm definitely bringing my butt! And Butt is coming, too! Lots of exclaimation points! Love!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル