30.11.07
Understanding
Psalm 139:1-6, 13-16
It’s important to be understood. I think about understanding a lot in Japan. I have to listen carefully to Japanese speakers to understand what they are saying. When I go to the store I often have to ask people to speak slower or repeat themselves. I can’t understand them. It is hard for me to make myself understood to Japanese people, too. Japanese grammar is so different from English grammar that I often mix up my words. Sometimes Japanese people laugh at me because I say something incorrectly. I can’t make myself understood. I can’t convey who I really am: my feelings, my dreams, my goals. Also, Japanese people often don’t understand who I am as a person. Japanese people often have a lot of misconceptions about Americans. For example, they think America is dangerous because people are allowed to own guns. They think all Americans love McDonald’s. These things are not true. I think Japanese people also have a lot of misconceptions about foreigners in Japan. They think we don’t speak Japanese. They think we all speak English. They think we are all English teachers. They don’t understand who we really are. You also may worry about being understood. Students, you probably think teachers don’t understand how much homework you have in other classes, or how challenging the assignments are for you, or what kind of friend or family problems you’re dealing with now. Teachers, you probably think that students don’t understand how hard you work for their benefit, how little free time you have with your family because of your job, how frustrating it can be to teach students who often don’t want to learn.
Who really understands us in this world? God understands us. The Bible says that he knows your every thought. He knows how many hairs you have on your head. He knows how many times you have cried in your life. He had a plan for your life before you were born.God truly understands you. Because He understands us, he knows what we need. He knows how to care for us. He knows how to help us.

Labels: ,

written by Ruthie @ 8:16 PM  
1 thoughts:
  • At 11/30/2007 10:17 PM, Blogger Mom To B and W said…

    It looks like this was a chapel speech you gave? I think it is really good. Well done.
    Thankfully, I don't own a gun and I don't like McDonalds. I think I have eaten there twice in the past- at least 5 years. Once was in Rome (and we were out of $!) and once was in Stirling, Scotland. I would eat there again if I could go to either of those places.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル