12.2.08
Janglish
Last Friday I gave a lecture to some workers at Mitsubishi Heavy Industries on how not to speak Janglish. The following is a summary of that lecture.

Janglish (和製英語,): strange or awkward English that Japanese English speakers often use.

Types of Janglish:
  1. Poor Pronunciation.
  2. Borrowed words (written in katakana) with different meanings in English from their meaning in Japanese. For example, the borrowed word "マンション"(pronunced the same as "mansion") is derived from the English word "mansion," but in Japan a マンション is a lot more like a condo and a lot less like Bill Gate's house.
  3. Phrases or sentence patterns that are taught in Japan, but are rarely spoken in English-speaking countries. For example, "See you!" is not used in the U.S., but the Japanese are taught to say it for "goodbye."
After the lecture a few people went to a bar, where I discovered that I think I am much better at Japanese after I've had three beers.

Labels:

written by Ruthie @ 12:54 AM  
2 thoughts:
  • At 2/14/2008 7:40 AM, Blogger Chris Rensink said…

    :) If I hear, "I'm fine thank you and you?" one more time...there is going to be serious injury done...my students have fair warning...the rest of the public better watch out.

     
  • At 2/14/2008 10:38 AM, Blogger Jorge I. Figueroa F. said…

    That happens to all of us.
    I believe my French is great once I had a few glasses of wine.

    Engrish is great

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル