8.2.08
Pinky Swear
Today some of the English students came to the lounge to eat lunch with Ami and I. We got to talking about the names of the fingers: thumb, index, middle, ring, pinky. The students told us that in Japanese, the fingers are part of a family: the thumb is the dad, the pointer is mom, the middle and ring fingers are sister and brother, and the pinky is the baby. They asked what the word "pinky" means. Ami and I looked at each other a bit and realized that it doesn't really mean anything-- it's just a cute word that means "small." Apparently there's a type of breathmint called Pinky in Japan.

If that wasn't funny enough, then Ami and I explained the "Pinky Swear" and the students got excited and said they have a similar concept in Japanese, called yubikiri. The oath goes something like this:

Yubikirigenman. Usotsuitara, harisenbonnomasu. Yubikitta.

Roughly translated:

Pinky swear. If you break the promise, I'll make you drink 1,000 needles. Pinky Swear.

The Japanese make you drink needles if you break a promise. We cross our hearts and hope to die.

Labels: ,

written by Ruthie @ 12:13 AM  
3 thoughts:
  • At 2/08/2008 10:38 AM, Blogger Mom To B and W said…

    Stick a needle in my eye if I lie.

     
  • At 2/08/2008 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have in the past heard "cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye." So we might not be that far away from the Japanese!

     
  • At 11/14/2009 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル