20.5.08
Random
I experienced my first earthquake yesterday. I was trying to take a power nap on the couch in the English Lounge and I felt a shaking. I thought it was the wind from somebody slamming a door, but it lasted about 15 seconds. It wasn't very strong at all. I'm sure it didn't cause any damage, but it was quite exciting to feel an earthquake!

I saw a T-shirt yesterday that said "A TIGER IS FURIOUS AND IS HARD TO TREAT" in gold, sparkly lettering. It was so funny at the time that I wrote it down in my little notebook, since I couldn't get a picture.

Every conversation class I have with my second-year high schoolers, one student teaches the "Word of the Day," an English word of the student's choosing that is new to all of the class. Today's word of the day was "sea anemone." I wonder why she chose that word. Did she watch Finding Nemo?

I went to a used store with a huge suitcase (It was Buck, Mom. I got rid of Buck) full of clothes and random household nicknacks. I figured I could get at least 2000 yen (about $20) for all that stuff, since the original value had to have been over $100. Out of all that stuff, the store decided to take a shirt, a sweater, an small journal, and an almost new CD. In return for taking these things, they gave me 120 yen-- the equivalent of roughly $1.25. I was slightly insulted. I took back the CD, figuring I could sell it for more at a different store, took the 120 yen, and let the clerk throw away the rest of the items in the suitcase.

At karaoke, I love to sing "September," by Earth, Wind, and Fire. I also like to sing Lisa Loeb's "Stay." "A Whole New World" from Aladdin is also a big hit.

I'm not looking forward to Coldplay's new album. I just heard the single on the radio today and I was disappointed. Parachutes was so awesome, and all their subsequent albums have not met up to the one previous. Every song on Parachutes was fantastic. It was effortless, ethereal. Rush of Blood to the Head was pretty good, but lacked the emotional depth and musical quality of Parachutes. X and Y felt like watered-down Coldplay to me. It's good, but not amazing. I'm worried their new album will be crap.

Yesterday I washed a load of laundry with hot water (I filled the washer with water from the shower, since my washer is not equipped with hot water), rinsed it twice, and hung it out all day today in the sun. When I brought it back in tonight, it was clean and crispy-dry, not the usual mostly-dry and maybe-slightly-soapy. This makes me happy.

Labels:

written by Ruthie @ 6:21 AM  
3 thoughts:
  • At 5/21/2008 5:15 PM, Blogger CLU said…

    Don't take much to make us happy these days, huh?
    Thanks for taking Buck down to be done in. How nostalgic. I almost miss him! What do you want to bet that the used store kept everything else and is trying to sell it anyway?

     
  • At 5/21/2008 9:34 PM, Blogger Ruthie said…

    That's what I was thinking!

     
  • At 5/23/2008 4:51 PM, Blogger CLU said…

    I can rest secure knowing that I passed on my cynism and suspicion as well as my good looks and perky nature!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル