11.5.08
Retraction
My friend, Chi-chan, who told me that Kiyomizu Temple was a famous suicide spot has told me she was misinformed. Here is some information she wanted me to pass on to my readers about the temple: "Kiyomizu is famous for the magnificent height and the view from there. It's a very significant sight that, if you are ready to do something important or special, you can imagine that great view and you can challenge yourself to do something right. Kiyomizu temple's great view can give you that power and the thrill that you can almost jump in. So it's not for killing you. Those views encourage you to do something. Kiyomizu also is known for being built with no nails! It's only made of wood!"

Here's some more info straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Labels: ,

written by Ruthie @ 12:44 AM  
1 thoughts:
  • At 5/11/2008 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry, but she's just trying to reverse what she feels is a bad impression....Kiyomizudera is in fact known as a legendary "Lover's Leap" where couples whose families forbade their marriages jumped to their deaths. I don't know how much truth is behind it, but that is the legend. It's noted on the Japanese signs and plaques, but not the English. A lot of things they think might give a bad impression are left off of tourist information signs!

    Maybe you looked sad or pained about it when she told you and so she later said she was mistaken so you'd feel better.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル