23.9.08
Music Laughs
Musicians (more specifically, theorists and musicologists) love to make comparisons between music and things in daily life. Often these metaphors are very effective; other times, they are downright hilarious. Here is a sampling of the little things I've heard in music classes that have made me chuckle, if not outright guffaw (WARNING: those of my readers who are not musicians may not think any of the following are funny):

"Figured bass is like shopping at Target: it's an exercise in consumption, not production." (heard in a remedial music theory course)

"Polyphony is a disease of chant like life is a disease of matter: the disease does things that the host did not intend." (heard in a course on the history of the motet)

"Cut the sound like a warm knife cutting butter. The sound is the butter, and your cutoff is the knife. Don't spread the butter." (heard in choir practice)

More to come, I promise.

Labels:

written by Ruthie @ 7:46 PM  
3 thoughts:
  • At 9/28/2008 1:41 AM, Blogger God's Girl said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9/29/2008 8:14 PM, Blogger jennamae said…

    i find myself doing this all the time! it usually happens at least once every lesson. i think it helps my students find humor in life.

    i enjoyed your examples!

     
  • At 10/17/2008 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ruthie....you kill me with your quotes...oh, to be back in music theory....then I realize I'm thinking crazy...no more school...at least not right now...Love you...Kari Broadway

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル