31.8.06
Shibata-san
I have been here in Japan for four days now, making my apartment my own, grocery shopping, getting to know the neighborhood, and getting the necessary paperwork done in time for school to start. One person I have met here who has been a great help is Shibata-san. Shibata-san is (I think) a maintenance man for the school-owned apartments. He was at the apartment the first night I arrived, helping me learn how to use things in the apartment and making sure I could get settled enough to sleep that night. Tuesday he came by with the internet/phone guy to get my internet up and running. Later that day he came by again to see if I wanted any stuff left behind by former Baiko English teachers. I got a microwave, stereo, and a cool metal storage rack thingie. The next day I went with Higuchi-sensei (one of the English teachers) to open a bank account, get my alien residency permit, and fill out some paperwork at the school. Shibata-san was there to help me, always with a smile. Later that afternoon he stopped by the apartment to invite me to church with him on Sunday, to give me the music for the new worship song for Sunday, and to share some ice cream treats with me. He loves to practice his English and he is so willing to go the extra mile. Rachel told me that Shibata-san doesn't do anything half-way. I can see that already.
written by Ruthie @ 2:36 AM  
5 thoughts:
  • At 8/31/2006 3:47 PM, Blogger Tracey said…

    I'm glad you are a resident alien. And I'm looking forward to hearing many more stories of your new adventures. You are so incredibly brave, Ruthie. Grace and peace!

     
  • At 8/31/2006 10:35 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    I am so glad that God has blessed you with this new helper/friend :o) I love hearing about your experience - good luck with the teaching!

    I'm so honored to leave a comment in Tracey's footsteps...

     
  • At 9/02/2006 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay! You are right about Shibata san. 110 percent all the time. He's my Japanese Daddy. Ask him about his origami sometime. And how he became a Christian.

     
  • At 9/05/2006 12:41 AM, Blogger aubrey said…

    I LOVE YOU!!!!!

     
  • At 9/11/2006 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    aww Shibata-san sound so sweet!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル