11.10.06
Family Tree
We've been teaching some of our high schoolers some basic family vocab: mother, father, sister, brother, etc. In their book they have a sample family tree. From that they have to answer questions about the relationships on the tree using the new vocab. So for class we made a worksheet for them to learn even more family terms: grandfather, grandmother, cousin, aunt, uncle, husband, wife, etc.

I was supposed to make a more complex family tree on Microsoft Word. I couldn't think of any good American names, so I decided to dip into recent political figures. What resulted was what I lovingly dubbed the "Gubernatorial Family Tree."
I thought this was absolutely hilarious. What's even more hilarious is that the students have no idea where these names come from. However, one of the Japanese teachers who speaks pretty good English saw the worksheet on my desk and commented on it. "Oh, Bill and Hillary... Clinton?" "Yes," I said. "And Monica and Al are their grandchildren." She jokingly slapped me on the shoulder, half shocked, but mostly laughing.
written by Ruthie @ 9:28 PM  
2 thoughts:
  • At 10/12/2006 2:49 PM, Blogger Tracey said…

    You are my favorite. A friend of mine once used the names 'Adolph' and 'Joseph' in every Spanish conversation she had to write out for class. These things amuse me to no end. Have a beautiful day!

     
  • At 10/12/2006 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am glad your creativity is shining through...too bad not many appreciate your sense of humor :P How are classes going? Thanks for the email...things have finally calmed down enough to reply (sort of)...thinking of you and hoping you are finding smiles :D

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル