3.10.06
Reconnections
Thank God for Facebook. Seriously.

Crystal, my old friend from junior high school, sent me a Facebook message a couple of days ago. Crystal was one of my first friends in a new town when my parents moved to Iowa in 1993. I called Crystal my soul mate, my best best friend, for four years. We were so close, like sisters. Then in eighth grade she struggled a lot with her faith and finally decided to become an athiest. I was devastated. We didn't speak for awhile after that. In high school we had several classes together and hung out sometimes, but I always felt a little awkward, and I think she did too. We still wanted to be friends, but I didn't feel like I understood her anymore. I think she felt the same way.

College came and went and I never heard from Crystal. I never tried to contact her, either. I thought of her occasionally, wondered where she was, what she was doing. I thought I would never see or speak to her again. Then out of the blue yesterday she sent me a message. I almost cried I was so happy. I wanted to tell her everything, even though I hadn't talked to her for about five years. I felt like our relationship was ressurected in an instant. Happily, she informed me that she is once again a committed Christian and has been happily married for two years! She's in college studying French (which we took together in high school) and doing well. And now we are sending messages back and forth, frantically updating each other on the past four years of our lives. And I am so, so glad.

Moral of the story: if you are not on Facebook, join now, if just for the sake of making this kind of reconnection with a former kindred spirit.

P.S. I'm not usually this sappy. I apologize.
written by Ruthie @ 9:35 AM  
1 thoughts:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル