3.10.07
School Days
Summer is over (technically, though the heat continues into October here) and school is in full swing. My new colleague, Ami, has been here for over a month now, and has been very energetically reorganizing and planning her class curriculum. Her fresh teaching ideas have given me a new energy and imagination with the students as I try to challenge the English-track students more and worry less about how little the basic-track students care about my class (some days I feel like I would rather drive a giant rusty spike through my forearm than teach the high school basic-track students. They are lethargic, have bad attitudes about the class, and can understand less English than several of my junior high school classes).

This week two new Baiko College teachers arrived. Unfortunately, none of the staff at the college (Japanese or American) prepared a welcome pack or got their apartments ready for their arrival. So the next evening I helped them find some essentials at the local grocery store and we had supper at MOS Burger, a Japanese version of In-N-Out Burger. They both seem nice and down-to-earth, though a little overwhelmed by Japan. It brings back memories of when I was first in country. I remember feeling SO FRUSTRATED at little things. Now, when I see the new people frustrated at those same things and I just shrug and say, "Hey, that's [Japan/Baiko] for you," I wonder if they aren't a little irritated. I was when my former colleagues would say that to me.

In other news, I took the GRE in Osaka about two weeks ago. For those of you who haven't been in school for awhile, the GRE is a required test for those applying to graduate schools. The exam tests verbal, quantitative, and writing skills, and is a grueling three hours long. And yes, it was in English, though I took the test in Japan. Because it was computerized, I was able to see my verbal and quantitative scores immediately after finishing my exam. Much to my pleasure, both my scores were higher than they had been on practice tests. There were also two writing portions, and I felt pretty good about them. So that's over with. On to filling out graduate school applications and writing Statement of Purpose essays. I hate those things.

So things are going pretty well, generally. I definitely feel busier at school this term, since there are only two foreign teachers instead of the three there used to be. Wednesdays are my worst days. I actually have a full load of five classes-- just like a real teacher! It's hard to believe I have been here a whole year. One year of my life spent in Japan. Another year to go. Bring it on, Japan.

Labels:

written by Ruthie @ 11:11 PM  
1 thoughts:
  • At 10/05/2007 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like the college teachers are a cold bunch. I'm glad you don't work with such uncaring people. Also glad they were lucky enough to have you there to take care of them.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 
私について

Name: Ruthie
Home: Japan
About Me: I want to know who God is and what his truth is. I love getting lost in beautiful music and cloudless star-filled skies, especially in the fall. I hate being bored. I like big cities. I want to travel the world.
read more

古い物
古代の物
好みな物
ブロッグ
ラベル